Skip to main content

Recovering an old couch cushion, cheaply!

We have a lovely area under our pergola that we like to sit in and relax away from the hot Queensland sun and over time the hubby has made it very comfortable with box seats, planters, tables and even a native bee hive!

But the seats were a bit hard on the old backside to relax for too long on and so I bought some second hand couch cushions from my favourite op shop for $15 - well not small cushions but they're not really  mattress's either - Squabs? a friend said when I tried to describe them - you can just look at the picture to see what I mean.

Whilst they were cheap enough and certainly cheerful enough - they were not quite the colours and patterns I had hope to use under our pergola and so I decided to cover them - cheaply!

Here's what I did...



See - now what would you call that??


They even came with a back sitting up against part too - I assume they came off a cane couch of some sort.


I bought a second hand queen sized sheet in the colour that I wanted (and for 1/2 price!) and I'm going to make a sleeping bag type shaped cover for it. One Queen size sheet will usually cover most single mattresses - as will a single doona cover if you can find the one with a pattern you can live with! This time, sadly, I couldn't. which would have been a lot less work in the log run.


Allowing enough to be able to close it up when its made, I pinned the sheet to one end of the mattress all the way along one end. I didn't know if this mattress was a standard size or not and this saves me having to do maths which I really suck at!


Then I rolled the mattress up in the sheet. The pins I put along that first edge make it stay there so i can see how much sheet I will need and how much to chop off. Some times I'm lucky and can just sew it in half - this time I wasn't so lucky!


So now I can see how much to cut off. I want to make a loose cover that will allow for my mistakes and be easy enough to get off when I want to wash it.


Ripping the material from a cut is more accurate for me than cutting with a pair of scissors - although it makes for messy edges that then have to be hemmed more!



Next, hem all those messy edges! This is where I simply turn the whole thing into a giant bag by folding it in half along the longest side(right sides together - don't forget) and sewing up the other two sides leaving one end open.


Sewing the two sides together to make a giant pouch or bag...


Now to make the corners fit better I do this tricky little corner. Its hard to explain so bear with me. We are going to square off the corners so that the mattress fits better. Take one corner and fold it so that the seam that you just sewed is in the middle not on the side of the triangle - Its a bit of an origami fold if that helps.


If you have done it right you will have the seam in the middle of the triangle corner on one side and...


And the back should be seamless...


Then you sew across the corner. To know where to sew, measure the thickness of the mattress. If it is 4 inches thick then sew 4 inches from the pointed end  in a straight line across.
Sounds complicated, but once you get it - you'll be away. Here is a link to the best instructions I have found on the net - this is where I learnt how to do this. Also the hobo bags are great for lunches! squareish-bottomed-hobo-lunchbag

Once you have got the corners sorted (remeber to do both ends of the sleeping bag shape you can turn it right side out and slide it onto  the mattress.

I am yet to put the buttons on to close the end of the cover but this gives you the idea of how it ends up.

If you have done the corner right - it will fit like this. if you've done it wrong - it simply wont fit...

The whole cover should slide on a bit like a sleeping bag with squared corners.

Ready to sit on - well I still need to put the buttons on the end - but knowing me, that might take a while!

Score card:
Green-ness5/5 for re-using second hand bits and pieces!
Frugal-ness: 5/5 for recovering 2 mattress's for $7
Time cost: This can take a while - probably about an hour to do both of them if you have done it before. Maybe a bit longer if you are a new sewer...
Skill level: If you can sew a straight line then you can do this - the corners are a bit tricky but once you get how to do them - you'll be away!
Fun -ness: Always fun to make something look good for just about nothing!

Comments

Share great information about your blog , That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. Blog really helpful for me. Thanks for share your blog here.
Spring cleaning
Bond cleaning
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i